Friday, February 14, 2014

Lord, I Give You My Heart



Friday, February 14, 2014          Lord, I Give You My Heart
John  12: 1-8

The tension in Jerusalem at the high council was also felt in the community of Bethany, where Jesus gathered with his friends and disciples. There is an interesting parallel between this gathering and an occasion when Jesus was in Lazarus’ home, as recorded in Luke’s Gospel. In Luke, Mary sits at Jesus’ feet listening to him teach, and her sister Martha objects because she thinks Mary should be helping her prepare to serve a meal for Jesus. In John, Mary is again at Jesus’ feet, this time serving him as she anoints him for burial. I suspect the house was filled not only with the scent of perfume, but also with tension as the others witnessed Mary’s shameless, extravagant adoration and worship of Jesus. Judas is the one who breaks the silence with the practical observation that the perfume was needlessly being wasted.

There was quite a divergent gathering that day in Bethany. Lazarus, the man Jesus brought from death to life was there. Martha was there, working, striving, and doing what needed to be done. Judas, the pragmatic one, who knew the cost of everything, was there. The other disciples were there, in silence. Mary was there, oblivious of everyone else, giving her heart to Jesus.

If you were there, where would you be standing?

Maybe you were singing with Mary.

This is my desire, to honor You
Lord with all my heart I worship You
all I have within me
I give You praise
all that I adore is in You

Lord I give You my heart
I give You my soul
I live for You alone
Every breath that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have Your way in me

Lord, I Give You My Heart
(Hillsong United)
Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: