Thursday, January 7, 2016

Come Boldly To the Throne of God



January 7, 2016
Come Boldly To the Throne of God

“It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us.”
Romans 8:34b NRSV

As I conclude this first week in the New Year, I am still refining my self-expectations for this year. In so doing, I have been captivated by two scriptures. The first is Romans 8:34, which reminds me that Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is interceding for me! For me! (And you!!) I cringe to think where I would be if I didn’t have my Lord and Master interceding for me.

The second passage affirms that the Holy Spirit is also praying for me: “because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God” (Romans 8:27b NRSV). Especially when I don’t know how to pray, the Holy Spirit is praying for me. Jesus promised us that he is with us always, and part of the fulfillment of that promise is in the truth that he and the Holy Spirit are interceding for us!

While I take great comfort in the faithfulness of Jesus and the Holy Spirit watching over me, I also receive this truth as Jesus and the Holy Spirit modeling for me the life in Christ. I too am called to be an intercessor. I am called to follow the example of my Master and intercede for the saints according to the will of God.

Another example of an intercessor is Abraham. His intercession for Sodom is recorded in Genesis 18:16-33. The writer of Hebrews encourages us to “come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most” (Hebrews 4:16).  Could it be that Jesus wants us to follow the model of Abraham and come boldly to the throne of God to intercede for the saints according to the will of God?

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: