Thursday, January 14, 2016

Precious Memories



January 14, 2015
Precious Memories

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28

In yesterday’s meditation I wrote, “Sometimes our feelings, our past baggage of emotional hurts, block our view of the truth of who we are in Christ.” Each day, we face, in one form or another, the reality that our past is still clinging to us and trying to influence our present life. This truth has been front and center in my life for the last week or so as I approached today, the third anniversary of my heart attack and cardiac by-pass surgery. I can’t stop the past from reaching out to me, but I can determine how I will process the experience.

This year Cheryl and I have placed a blessing jar on our dinette table. Each week we select a blessing we have experienced in the previous seven days. We write a summary of the blessing and place it in the blessing jar. On December 31, 2016 we will spend our evening reading the fifty-two blessings we have selected for this year. Tonight, as we select our blessing for this week, I will vote for my celebration of life on this third anniversary of what could have been a very tragic day.

Romans 8:28-29 teaches me that God is working everything in my life for the good of forming Christ in me. As I look back over these last three years, I see signs of the Father’s hands within me, forming Christ, and I also see how He brought so many people into our lives to comfort us, and for us to see Christ in their mortal flesh. Our lives have been enriched beyond measure through the friendships and associations that were initiated and nurtured through the events of three years ago.

I know my awareness of God’s love and acceptance of me is greater now than ever before in my life, and the events of three years ago have contributed mightily to my spiritual growth. For this, I am so very grateful and indebted to so many who revealed Christ to me throughout my hospitalization and recovery.      

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: