Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Here I Am, Lord



April 12, 2016
Here I Am, Lord

Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.”
John 21:17c

In his conversation with Peter, three times Jesus assigned Peter work:
1          1- “Then feed my lambs,”
2     2- “Then take care of my sheep,”
3     3- “Then feed my sheep.”

Those were interesting assignments to a fisherman. But then, Jesus did tell Peter he would make him a fisher of men. Even so, those assignments don’t seem to carry the prestige we might expect for the one who we know was the leader of the first century church. And that’s the point.

When I look at the Apostle Paul, I think we was the most comfortable when he was debating with the philosophers of Athens on Mars Hill. (See Acts 17) Yet he only debated with them briefly, and then returned to his primary assignment of teaching uneducated people. This points us to the number one priority God has when he hands out assignments to the followers of Jesus. God wants us to love the people who He loves. Our failure to grasp this nature of God is probably the reason that the vast majority of the work God has intended for us goes undone.

In this resting season between Easter and Pentecost, perhaps it is good to ask ourselves how much of our desire to serve God is aimed at the comfortable things we would rather be doing. Perhaps we need to ask ourselves when we last sang, with authentic passion and purpose,

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.
Here I Am, Lord
Dan Schutte
1981
Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: