Thursday, November 17, 2016

You Will Find Rest For Your Souls



November 17, 2016
You Will Find Rest For Your Souls

“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.
    With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.
Jeremiah 31:3

After the 2016 election cycle, I believe all of us are weary and tired. When I feel pulled down by the inflammatory rhetoric that has dominated our country I like to remember, “God loves us unconditionally, just as we are; not as we should be. Because no one is as they should be.” (All is Grace by Brennan Manning)

God’s love for us is based 100% on His choice to love us unconditionally, just as we are; not as we should be. If His choice to love us were based on anything else, we would be in trouble. What if God chose to love us based on some measure of our faithfulness. What would happen if we didn’t measure up?

The truth of God’s love for us is that we don’t deserve it, we can’t earn it and we can’t justify it. God’s choice to love us is seemingly contradictory. God’s sets a very high bar of expectations for us: “But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48).  But when we fail to meet His expectations, we hear: “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). When we accept God loving us so completely, we can move toward that liberating day when, because we passionately believe in God’s love for us, we truly love ourselves for God’s sake.

If you are feeling weary and perhaps even battered and bruised from the game of life, hear these comforting words from your Master, who loves you unconditionally, just as you are; not as you should be. Because no one is as they should be.

“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: