Thursday, February 6, 2020

I Washed My Disciples Feet


Meditations based on readings from

The Story of My Life As Told by Jesus Christ



February 6, 2020

I Washed My Disciples Feet

Page 261-262

John 13:3-20



Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday, was established by the church to remember Jesus’ lessons in our readings for today and tomorrow. The word Maundy is a translation of Jesus’ words in John 13:34: “So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.” (Emphasis mine. Generally, Maundy Thursday is associated with Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. However, the word Maundy, is derived from an Old French word that is understood as command.)



In the opening verse of today’s reading, Jesus said that God had given him “authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God.” (John 13:3) This would be a good time to meditate on just what leaving this world entailed for Jesus. Betrayal by one of his twelve disciples, denial by the leader of his disciples, excruciating pain, and public humiliation are just some of the markers along the final path of his journey.



Jesus, the Word who had become flesh, “took the humble position of a slave” and washed the feet of the disciples. That act of humility alone is sufficient to inspire the great hymn of the early church recorded by St. Paul in Philippians 2:5-11. Jesus wrapped his humility in love: “He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end” (John 13:1)



My Takeaway: This is another good time for meditation. When I think of my identity as a Christian, and as a leader in my church, what images come to mind? Is my mind flooded with memories of Jesus loving his disciples to the end, to the uttermost? Do I remember the Messiah washing the feet of his disciples? If not, I need to examine my understanding of what it means to be a Christian and a leader.



Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)



These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.



Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight



Publications by Alex M. Knight:



  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.



  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.



Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: