Thursday, February 27, 2020

My Tomb was Sealed / My Tomb was Empty


Meditations based on readings from

The Story of My Life As Told by Jesus Christ



February 27, 2020

My Tomb was Sealed / My Tomb was Empty

Page 313-321

Matthew 27:62-66, 28:1-15; Mark 16:2-8b, 9-11;

Luke 24:1-12; John 20:1-18



The Gospel accounts of the resurrection are as surprising for what they record as they are for what they do not record. If I were telling the story, I think I would have given great detail to the actual event – the resurrection, but the Gospels provide precious little details. If I had been telling the story, I think I would have been tempted to present the disciples as great men of faith, receiving the good news they had expected; their master has risen just as he said he would. In the Gospels, no one expected Jesus’ resurrection, no one believed when first told, and the first witnesses were women, not men. In the world of the first century, women were not deemed as creditable witnesses. The first followers of Jesus were surprised, and the Gospels want us to have an opportunity to share in their surprise.



Not long after the first Easter Sunday, the church developed a liturgy for their Easter worship services which is still practiced by thousands of churches around the world.



He is Risen!

He is Risen indeed!



Too often, this powerful affirmation is left echoing in sanctuaries without any impact on our world. Why? Because it is one thing to announce Jesus is Risen, with your friends, in the safety of a sanctuary; it is another to make the truth of this powerful affirmation the way of your life.



As followers of this Risen Jesus, we are seeking to make the Life in Christ our way of life. In the devotional experience, Everyman’s Way to the Cross, which follows the fourteen Stations of the Cross, Christ speaks these words at Station Fourteen:



“So ends my mortal life. But now another life begins for Mary, and for Mary Magdalene, for Peter and for John, and you. My work as a man is done. My work within and through My church must now commence. I look to you. Day in, day out, from this time forth, be My disciple, servant, saint.”



The closing meditation then reminds us that Jesus’ life was not complete until he crowned it by his death. Our way is not complete unless we crown it by our life.  Jesus has promised us: “I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” With this assurance, Jesus commands us: “Go now!  Take up your cross and with your life complete your way.”



My Takeaway: JESUS IS WAITING FOR OUR RESPONSE



Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)



These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.



Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight



Publications by Alex M. Knight:



  • Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.



  • The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.



Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: