Thursday, December 10, 2020

I Wish God Moved Faster

 Advent Meditations

December 10, 2020

I Wish God Moved Faster

 “I tell you the truth, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least person in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than he is!

Matthew 11:11

 Read Matthew 11:11-15

Jesus was not diminishing John the Baptist when he said the least in the Kingdom of Heaven are greater than John. Jesus was pointing to a complete reordering of the world. Today, as I am writing this meditation, there is still drama unfolding about the presidential election. As the President continues to litigate the election results, the President-Elect is already naming his administration officials. Jesus is saying, from the perspective of God, all that is happening in our nation’s capital pales in comparison to what is happening in our churches this Sunday. This is where real and lasting progress toward a society that loves mercy and acts justly is being nourished.

This truth calls to me to confess that there are times when I am impatient with the ways of God. I wish God moved faster to answer prayers, punish injustice and renew the face of the earth. My impatience is accompanied by anxiety and worry.

I have learned that when I am worrying, it is because I am not nourishing the life of Christ in me. Worry means there is something over which I cannot have my own way. Worry or disappointment is in reality evidence of my personal irritation with God. Ouch! The purpose of prayer is to nourish the life of Christ within me. Worry means I am more focused on my circumstances than I am on becoming the person God created me to be.

My Takeaway: Because I am prone to stumble with my impatient ways, I pray daily, “I am not my own, I am Thine. By creation and redemption, I am Thine . . .”

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: