Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Parable of the Two Sons

 Advent Meditations

December 15, 2020

Parable of the Two Sons

For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins.

Matthew 21:32

Read Matthew 21:28-32

Jesus didn’t answer the religious leaders directly about his authority displayed in the Temple. But he continued to engage those leaders with this parable. In Jesus’ initial response to the leaders, he asked them their opinion of John the Baptist. In his explanation of his parable, Jesus again brings up John. Jesus paints a stunning image; tax collectors and prostitutes repented their sins, were baptized, and changed the way they had been living by producing appropriate fruits of repentance. Yet this was not enough for the religious leaders to give glory to God, examine their own lives and repent and seek God’s forgiveness.

There is a huge temptation to judge the religious leaders for their pride and being just so dense they could not see God working in their midst. Yet, if I am honest with myself, I too stumble over my pride, and I am too slow to examine my own life.

My Takeaway: As I noted on November 23rd, forgiveness, cleansing, renewal and restoration are the natural rhythm of life for those seeking the life in Christ as their way of life. I invite you to join me in praying Psalm 139:23-24,

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

    test me and know my anxious thoughts.

Point out anything in me that offends you,

    and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: