Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Birth of John the Baptist

 Advent Meditations

December 23, 2020

The Birth of John the Baptist

He motioned for a writing tablet, and to everyone’s surprise he wrote, “His name is John.” Instantly Zechariah could speak again, and he began praising God.

Luke 1:63-64

Read Luke 1:57-66

Zachariah makes a huge leap of faith in the naming of his son John. The cultural tradition called for him to extend his family name by giving his first-born child his own name. Nine months before this, when the angel of the Lord appeared to Zachariah in the Temple, he balked at believing the angel’s prophecy and was made mute. This time, Zachariah didn’t balk at the leading of the Lord, but followed the instructions of the angel of the Lord and named his child, John.

As I reflect on Zachariah’s disobedience and obedience, I am grateful the Lord has not severely punished me for my many acts of disobedience, or failures to follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit. As I have previously noted, the hymn writer nailed me perfectly when he wrote, “Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; Prone to leave the God I love.” (Come Thou Fount, Robert Robinson)

During the nine months Zachariah could not speak, he could hear. I believe it was during this time Zachariah was inspired by the Holy Spirt to formulate the prophecy which is the passage we will consider tomorrow. For today, let us reflect on how in our silence we can open our hearts and minds to the leading of God in our lives.

My Takeaway: For several months, I have been using a Centering Prayer application on my iPad. I begin my time with listening to my favorite devotional song, I Love You Lord. Then I sit quietly for several minutes with a carved wooden cross in my hand, focused on the scripture, “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) One result has been a keener sense of the prompts of the Holy Spirit and a more willing spirit to obey.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: