Wednesday, August 3, 2011

James 4

Sometimes we need to dig a little deeper. I dug some more today because I was uncertain with what James was saying in verses 5-6. The New Living Translation renders this: “What do you think the Scriptures mean when they say that the spirit God has placed within us is filled with envy? But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires.”

Envy is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Why would God put a spirit of envy within us?

What I found is that the phrase is very difficult to translate from the original Greek. But, as I looked at other translations I think I have an idea of what James was trying to say.

The NRSV is, “‘God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us’? But he gives all the more grace;”

The Common English Bible (a new translation from Cokesbury) is, “Doesn’t God long for our faithfulness in the life he has given to us? But he gives us more grace.”

The Message is, “The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find.”

I think the CEB’s translation captures the essence of what James (and Paul) believed about the life in Christ. If I were to rephrase it I would say, ‘God yearns jealously for me to live the life in Christ He has made possible for me by His grace.’

As parents we train our children in the way they should go and yearn for the day they embrace this life for themselves and do not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)

So also, our Heavenly Father has given us new life in Christ and yearns for the day we will embrace this new life as our own. I shudder to think how often my life is defined by, “Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love;” more than the life in Christ. In those moments I am learning to rejoice that “he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires.”

(I am grateful for http://www.biblegateway.com/ that makes it so easy to compare various translations.)

What does today’s reading reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do or remember about this passage.

Does God want you to change anything in your life?

No comments: