Tuesday, July 26, 2011

1 Thessalonians 2

It seems so simple and non-threatening. Why does it cause so much turmoil? The Good News is that God loves you, forgives you, and provides a way for you to live forever with Him in His Kingdom. Why would that offend anyone? Yet, in Paul’s letters we learn there was resistance to his message of Good News and persecution for him and those who chose to follow Jesus. And, the sad reality is that there is just as much resistance and persecution today as there was when Paul was working among the Thessalonians.

Many of my colleagues have experience terrible turmoil and resistance in their churches this year. And, for those of us that may not have experienced the pain caused by disunity there have been economic or other issues that have kept us up late at night with worry.

Why? We read the answer Sunday in Ephesians 6. If the drug Kingpin learns that someone has come to town and is setting the addicted people free, that Kingpin is going to do everything in his power to stop the liberation.

So, what do I do? How do I respond? First, I practice what I preached last Sunday. I press on with courage and persistence and seek to encourage my colleagues. AND, like Paul I keep my eye on the prize:

What gives (me) hope and joy,

and what will be (my) proud reward and crown

as (I) stand before our Lord Jesus when he returns?

It is you!

Yes, you are (my) pride and joy.

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20


What does today’s reading reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do or remember about this passage.

Does God want you to change anything in your life?

No comments: