Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2 Corinthians 4:8 – 5:11

For the Apostle Paul the two most important questions in life are: Why and How? Why am I a Christian? How do I live as a Christian?

I am a Christian because I believe God the Father Almighty is the creator of heaven and earth. I believe He invites all people into an eternal relationship with Him and that relationship is made possible because Jesus Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)

Paul quotes the beautiful Psalm 116 in affirming his motivation to serve God. It is so simple, “I believed in God.”

Paul believed God was working all things together for good. Paul believed God was working in him to give him both the desire and the ability to fulfill God’s will for his life. Paul believed “by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace towards me has not been in vain.” Paul believed that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. (5:1)

Because Paul believed, he knew that nothing in his life was wasted. He knew that everything in his life was an opportunity for the world to see how he had faith in God. That is what Paul means when he says the world can Jesus in his mortal flesh.

Paul never denies the reality of the sufferings that are inherit to human life and especially to those who serve God. BUT, take a minute to contrast verses 8-10 in chapter 1, where Paul talks about the intensity of his suffering, with verses 8-10 in chapter 4, where Paul affirms how God used those experiences to reveal Jesus to the world.

How do I live as a Christian? The same way Paul did. Trusting that God is at work in me and in the world to establish His everlasting Kingdom. I live as a Christian by fixing my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. Jesus never lost sight of His goal and I never, ever, want to lose sight of Jesus.

What does today’s reading reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do or remember about this passage.

Does God want you to change anything in your life?


No comments: