Sunday, April 15, 2012

2 Timothy 1: 1-18

The second letter to Timothy was probably Paul’s last letter. Not long after this letter was written Paul was executed in Rome.  The letter is much like a Last Will & Testament, where Paul is reflecting on God’s faithfulness as he affirms and encourages Timothy.

But, Paul is not just writing to Timothy; he is also writing to us. All followers of Jesus have been endowed with spiritual gifts by the Holy Spirit and Jesus has given us all ministry assignments. Therefore, Paul’s affirmations and encouragements are for all of us as well.

Two verses in chapter one are especially helpful to me; 7 and 12. In verse 7 Paul reminds me that God has provided all I need to fulfill the assignment He has given me: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” This is another way of Paul saying “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)

Every day is a day of decision for the followers of Jesus. We will have opportunities for service, to witness, to love and to stand firm for God’s justice and mercy. Are we able? Verse 7 is an astounding YES!

In verse 12 Paul is affirming the absolute trustworthiness of God: “I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.” (The Day of Christ’s return)

Every day we get to decide whether we can trust God with our present needs as well as with our future. Verse 12 is Paul’s personal testimony that he has entrusted God with his whole life and found Jesus to be true to His word: “No one can snatch (you) from the Father’s hand.” (John 10:29) I cannot think of a place to be more secure than the Father’s hand.


What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

Reading for  16-Apr-12      2 Tim. 2:1-26

No comments: