Thursday, May 17, 2012

Psalm 17

Psalm 17

Many commentators believe Jesus is revealed in Psalm 17, because only Jesus can pray with such confidence, “You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong . . . My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you . . .  Because I am righteous, I will see you.” I don’t disagree.

However, I also read Psalm 17 as an expression of David’s child-like faith:   strong faith, Biblical faith, but also child-like faith. I suspect David wrote this psalm while still in his youth. Later in his life David is much more acutely aware of his own sin, as in Psalm 32 when he seeks forgiveness for his sin with Bathsheba.

David’s faith is the defining characteristic of the Book of Psalms. David has an absolute trust in God. David is not in denial, he knows he has adversaries and that his adversaries are enemies of God. However, David fully expects that God will vindicate him. He trusts God to be both judge and the executor of divine judgment. This is the same trust the Apostle Paul proclaimed when he wrote, “for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return” (2 Timothy 1:12).

There are two thoughts I take with me from Psalm 17. First, while God most definitely has expectations for my witness for Christ and my participation as a co-laborer with Christ building for the Kingdom of God; ultimately, the battle is not mine. The battle is the Lord’s. Secondly, because of the immeasurable love of Christ, I am now and forever more the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:21). Therefore, I can rejoice with the psalmist in saying:

“Because I am righteous, I will see you.
    When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied.”


What word or phrase in these verses
Attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

Reading for May 18, 2012            Psalm 18: 1-24

No comments: