Friday, May 4, 2012

Psalm 4

The Bible is not the least bit concerned with proving the existence of God. The Bible was written because God is. The purpose of scripture is to reveal the character of God. The very essence of God’s character is God’s desire to be in a right relationship with His creation. This psalm of David, probably written, as was Psalm 3, during Absalom’s revolt, reveals the quality of a right relationship with God. As the instructions at the beginning of the psalm indicate, it was incorporated into the worship of Israel, probably for something like Evening Vespers.

David begins by exhibiting great confidence in his relationship with God by calling out to God, “Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!” David was in a right relationship with God because God called and anointed David to be King over Israel. Do you know that you too can call out to God because you have a right relationship with God? Jesus, God’s Son, who was without sin is in a right relationship with God the Father. “For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ.” (2 Corinthians 5:21 NLT)

Because we have been made right with God through faith in Christ Jesus, we can rest in the sure knowledge that God is faithful and will fulfill all of His promises. What does it mean that we can rest? Consider my paraphrase of John 10:27-30:

“Jesus, I am yours and I listen to your voice; because You know me I willfully follow you. You give me eternal life, and I will never perish. No one can snatch me away from you, for God my Father has given me to you, and my Father is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch me from my Father’s hand. My Father and Jesus are one in their love and care for me.”

Because of what Christ has done for me I can join my voice with David and call out to God in confidence. Because I trust God I can rest knowing God will keep me safe.

Sē’lah (Then have a good night’s sleep!)


What word or phrase in these verses
Attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

May 5, 2012            Psalm 5

No comments: