Friday, May 18, 2012

Psalm 18: 1-24

Psalm 18: 1-24

Our heritage as Christians includes a belief that one day God’s Kingdom will be established on earth. As Christians, we long for God’s Kingdom as we pray, “Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven.” We long for the day when the rule of the evil one, that has devastated God’s creation, will be put to an end, and God’s love, mercy and justice will flow like rivers of living water. This heritage is rooted in the Old Testament, including Psalm 18.

The New Testament writers believed Psalm 18 was fulfilled in God’s vindication of Jesus. God’s Kingdom was launched through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. In these early stages, the Kingdom is being established in the lives of the followers of Jesus. These believers are working to prepare earth to receive her King, as we live out our faith, day by day. In God’s time (kairos), our King will come and complete the restoration of Eden.

The foundation for Israel’s belief in God’s Kingdom was established upon their experience of God’s grace. In this instance, David’s magnificent Psalm of Praise is also found in 2 Samuel 22. David’s praise was born of his experience with God’s saving grace.

How have you experience God’s grace? Has there been a time in your life when you felt as though adverse circumstances might overwhelm you? How did God bring you safely through the storm? How would you explain your experience to another person? Your experience is your own psalm of praise. Maybe this morning you’ll want to sing your praise to God. Here, allow David to give you the opening lines of your song,

“I love you, Lord, my strength.
 The Lord is my solid rock,
    my fortress, my rescuer.
My God is my rock—
I take refuge in him!—
        he’s my shield,
        my salvation’s strength,
        my place of safety.
 Because he is praiseworthy,
    I cried out to the Lord,
    and I was saved from my enemies.


Sē’lah

What word or phrase in these verses
Attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?



Reading for May 19, 2012            Psalm 18: 25-50

No comments: