Friday, June 1, 2012

Psalm 31

Sometimes, when Jesus quoted scripture he added his own interpretation. We saw this in Psalm 8:2, “From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength.”  At Matthew 21:16 Jesus quotes this verse saying, “Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies You have prepared praise for Yourself’”

Jesus adds his interpretation to Psalm 31 as well. Verse five states, “Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.” In Jesus’ final cry from the Cross he quotes this verse as, “‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.’ I noted in my meditation for Psalm 7 that O LORD was a formal, very reverent, rendering of the name of God. On the Cross Jesus expresses the intimacy of parent and child.

Throughout the Psalm, David is expressing his trust in God. Do you notice how David goes immediately from petition to affirmation? “Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger.” David’s foundation for trust is not in his own worthiness to receive God’s care; rather, his foundation is the grace of God.

Over and over again David communicates the wonders of trusting in God’s care: “But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!” My future is in your hands.” “How great is the goodness you have stored up for those who fear you. You lavish it on those who come to you for protection.” “Praise the Lord, for he has shown me the wonders of his unfailing love. He kept me safe.” “Love the Lord, all you godly ones! For the Lord protects those who are loyal to him.” “So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!”

Jesus takes all of these gracious expressions for the love and care of God and teaches us to come before God’s throne, as his children, praying, “Our Father, who art in heaven . . .”

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?


Reading for June 2, 2012   Psalm 32

No comments: