Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Psalm 49

You have never seen a U-Haul attached to a hearse, because, as the psalmist says, when we die, we take none of our earthly wealth with us. But those who die in Christ take all that truly matters with them, eternal life. For many people, all that this mortal life offers is sufficient. These people strive to make the most of this life, because they believe there is nothing beyond the grave. Some Christians try to convince them otherwise, by scaring them with visions of eternal punishment awaiting them for their failure to serve God in their mortal life. When I read the Gospels, I don’t find Jesus scaring people into heaven. I find Jesus offering a never-ending love that surrounds a person in this life, and in a new eternal life.

I have been with many people at their time of death and I have found there is a discernible difference between those who are resting in their faith, and those who have no faith in God. Jesus Christ has conquered death and has promised His followers that, “When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.” (John 14:3) This truth enables us to life our voices with glad hearts and sing,  

Because he lives,
I can face tomorrow;
because he lives,
all fear is gone;
because I know
he holds the future,
and life is worth the living
just because he lives.


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Reading for June 20, 2012                   Psalm 50

No comments: