Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Psalm 56

God. Say this out loud: “God!” What thoughts or images come to your mind?

One statement that helps me articulate the multifaceted nature of God is in the Modern Affirmation: “We believe in God the Father, infinite in wisdom, power and love, whose mercy is over all His works, and whose will is ever directed to His children's good” (The United Methodist Hymnal, Nr. 885). I believe the personal lament in Psalm 56 affirms all the attributes of God contained in this affirmation. The psalmist is trusting in the wisdom and power of God to be sufficient to help him. He is also affirming the very personal relationship he has with his God of mercy, power and love. And, he is resting in the sure knowledge that he is God’s child.

What thoughts or images came to your mind as you said out loud, “God”? If your thoughts of God were not of your Abba Father and His unfailing personal love for you, then spend some time mediating on these verses from Psalm 56:

You keep track of all my sorrows.
    You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
    You have recorded each one in your book.

This I know: God is on my side!

For you have rescued me from death;
    you have kept my feet from slipping.
So now I can walk in your presence, O God,
    in your life-giving light.
Psalm 56: 8, 9b, 13

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Reading for June 27, 2012         Psalm 57

No comments: