Thursday, June 21, 2012

Psalm 51

Psalm 51 is one of the Seven Penitential Psalms: 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, and 143. These psalms are appreciated for their honesty and self-reflection. They model authentic prayers that seek God’s mercy, forgiveness and healing. Whatever our struggles, these psalms reveal we can come before God in humility and honesty, and, at God’s Throne of Grace experience God’s love, mercy and forgiveness. It would be good to make a note of these psalms in back of your Bible so you readily locate them.

Psalm 51 is so very poignant because of the depth of David’s sin and the harm he caused through his sin with Bathsheba. (See 2 Samuel 11-12) If God’s mercy and forgiveness is sufficient to cleanse, renew and restore David, can there be anything in my life that is beyond God’s capacity to forgive?

I think David’s prose is some of the most beautiful and profound in the entire Bible. Verses such as seven and ten have captivated souls for generations: “Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow; and, “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.”

However, as a child of God, I must not just relish in David’s prose; I must make his prose be the cry of my heart. My sins are every bit as repugnant to the holiness of God as were David’s. I stand in need of forgiveness, cleansing, renewal and restoration every bit as much as David.

“Go and sin no more” Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery (John 8:11). Sadly, although she may have desired Jesus’ words to be her goal, the reality of life is that she did sin again. So did David. So do I. Forgiveness, cleansing, renewal and restoration are not once and no more experiences with God. Forgiveness, cleansing, renewal and restoration are the natural rhythm of daily life for those seeking new life in Christ.


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Reading for June 22, 2012         Psalm 52

No comments: