Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday, March 01, 2013



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Friday, March 01, 2013      Another Man Received His Sight 
Page 207-208         Matthew 20:29a, 31-34; Mark 10:46b-52

Most churches in the USA operate in a fairly democratic way with the pastor, whether elected or called by the congregation or appointed by an episcopal leader, working collaboratively with the elected lay leadership. This form of administration is more of a cultural model than it is Biblical. In contrast are the churches in communist, dictator-led countries where the pastor has absolute authority over the congregation. Again, this form of administration is more of a cultural model than it is Biblical. Jesus spent much of his time teaching his disciples that the Kingdom of God operates by principles that are completely opposite of their cultural norms. Jesus used the healing of blind Bartimaeus to help the disciples gain their Kingdom vision.

Just a short time prior to Jesus engaging Bartimaeus, James and John made a request of Jesus, “When you sit on your glorious throne, we want to sit in places of honor next to you, one on your right and the other on your left” (Mark 10:37). Jesus denied their request and went on to tell them that in the Kingdom of God, “Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be the slave of everyone else” (Mark 10:43-44).

Then Jesus encounters Bartimaeus and asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” (Mark 10:51). Bartimaeus didn’t ask for fame or fortune, power or prestige: “My rabbi,” the blind man said, “I want to see!” (Mark 10:51b). Upon being made whole by Jesus, Bartimaeus “followed Jesus on the way” (Mark 10:52).

How do you think Jesus wants us to respond to his question, “What do you want me to do for you?” I believe John Wesley’s Covenant Prayer is the answer Jesus is forming in all of his followers:

    I am no longer my own, but thine.
    Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
    Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
    Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee,
    exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
    Let me be full, let me be empty.
    Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
    I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
    And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
    thou art mine, and I am thine.
    So be it.
    And the covenant which I have made on earth,
    let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.


Sē’lah

The second edition of my book, First Think – Then Pray has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGQL5JC

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  In addition to this BLOG they are distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription


The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Monday, March 04, 2013   I Was Nearing Jerusalem  
Page 208-209         Luke 19:11-28

No comments: