Thursday, October 19, 2017

I Am His Sheep



October 19, 2017
I Am His Sheep

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:1-2 (NIV)
Read Romans 8:1-4



When I read Romans 8, I feel like a kid in a candy shop. It’s not hyperbole to say that everything we need to know about living as a child of God is found in Romans 8. Scholars have written entire commentaries just on chapter 8 because it is so densely packed with revelations of how God intends for his children to be transformed by the death, burial, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ. As a devotional exercise, you may want to spend 39 days with chapter 8, taking just one verse each day to ponder, meditate, and open your heart for God to speak to you. I’ve done this, and commend this exercise to you. 

As for today's reading,I believe this passage should be in the top two or three passages we memorize in scripture. I encourage you to read it in several different translations so that you can be fully immersed in the wonder and power of God’s grace.

(This site can help you easily access multiple translations of the Bible: https://www.biblegateway.com/)

These two verses are a succinct summary of the Kerygma. This Greek word described the form of preaching in the New Testament church. (see Luke 4:18-19, Romans 10:14, Matthew 3:1) In these messages the complete work of Jesus as God’s Messiah was presented. The Apostles’ Creed is a similar presentation of God’s complete plan of redemption of humankind. In this powerful passage in Romans, Paul makes his case that our condition (presented in Chapter Seven) of being in the vise-grip of sin has been completely broken by the power of God’s grace which has given us new life. No longer are we in sin’s grip; now we are held securely by Jesus:

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”
John 10:27-20

My Takeaway: Thank God! My answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord because I am one of his sheep!

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

Copyright © 2017 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: