Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Self-Centered, or Christ-Centered



October 11, 2017
Self-Centered, or Christ-Centered

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!
Romans 6:15
Read: Romans 6:15-19

Paul used stark language again; this time about slavery. Slavery was well understood in the First Century. Because of this, Paul used the slavery metaphor to illustrate the life of the individual before they knew of Jesus’ love for them, and as a metaphor for their new life in God’s grace. It was a matter of to whom they were to be attached, whom they chose as master of their lives.

For Paul it was really a simple choice. Either you remained self-centered, living any old way you wanted, doing anything that comes to mind; or you became Christ-centered and offered yourselves to the ways of God.

My Takeaway:  Is it really that simple? Yes! And, no! What is already true is that by faith I am a new creation in Christ. My role is to reckon this as true in my life. Yes, God is at work in me, but this work is not accomplished in one fell swoop. Sanctification is the word we attach to this process of becoming what we already are. John Wesley urged his people to claim this truth by affirming that they were going on to perfection. It is a belief that as I surrender my life to God, I will become what he has already made me! My goal is to reckon it more true today than it was yesterday.

Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

Copyright © 2017 by Alex M. Knight

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

No comments: