Saturday, September 3, 2011

Matthew 19: 22-30

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that read: “I am a Trader”. Off to the side there was a citation for Matthew 16. When I looked it up I found:

“All who want to save their lives will lose them. But all who lose their lives because of me will find them. Why would people gain the whole world but lose their lives? What will people give in exchange for their lives?”

That bumper sticker states the conclusion Jesus hopes his followers will reach. In our passage today I see Matthew connecting the dots between chapters 16 and 19. In the story of the rich young man we read about someone who was not willing to make the trade.

The disciples understood that Jesus wasn’t just referring to moneyed rich. The young man represented the basic human longing for self-reliance and self-justification. Jesus makes it clear with his analogy of the camel that laying down our self-interest and trusting only God is exceedingly difficult. And, in keeping with the theme of this part of Matthew’s Gospel I noted yesterday, The Apostle Paul refers to the sacrifice that no one other than Jesus can make: “You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9.

It is impossible for me to make the sacrifice that will make me right with God. What I cannot earn or buy, Jesus says I will inherit. Inherit! Jesus says that my name is in his last will and testament. There, under the category of eternal life, my name is listed.

But, things that are impossible for me are possible for God.

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:19-21



What does today’s reading reveal to you
about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do
or remember about this passage.
Does God want you to change anything in your life?

No comments: