Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Matthew 21:23-46

In 1995 the movie “Mr. Holland's Opus” was released. The lead character, Glenn Holland, played by Richard Dreyfuss, was a young musician with a burning desire to write great music like Mozart or Beethoven. To support himself while pursuing his music he took what he thought would be a temporary job teaching music in a high school. Several years later he would say, “It's almost funny. I got dragged into this gig kicking and screaming, and now it's the only thing I want to do.”

Mr. Holland is an example of someone who learned to read the signs in their life and make appropriate decisions. Some other people are never willing to surrender control of their lives to live for something greater than themselves. The religious leaders confronted by Jesus in today’s reading are examples of such people. John the Baptist was the last in a long line of prophets God had sent to Israel telling them they were missing the mark, they were not fulfilling the purpose for which they were created. Their response to Jesus’ question about John the Baptist reveals they had exchanged integrity for self-centered control of their lives.

Every circumstance in our lives carries within it the possibility of drawing us closer to the heart of God, closer to fulfilling the purpose for which we were created. For three years theses religion leaders were aware of Jesus’ miracles, healings, casting out of demons, and teaching of God’s extravagant love for all people. They choose to ignore these signs of the coming Kingdom of God.

I cringe to think of how often I get so caught up in pursing my self-interest that I miss the signs of God all around me.

Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

What does today’s reading reveal to you
about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do
or remember about this passage.
Does God want you to change anything in your life?

No comments: