Sunday, September 18, 2011

Matthew 26: 6-25

I was in the Sanctuary presiding over a Service of Communion for a small gathering of friends. There were just eight or ten of us. In the quietness of the Sanctuary I invited the group to reflect on the liturgy that affirms in faith we experience anew the presence of Jesus in our lives as we partake of the bread and cup.

A short time later, after I concluded the service, the group walked to the Fellowship Hall for refreshments. All were cheerfully chatting away, about this and that. All except one young woman. She waited for me to close the Sanctuary and then approached me. She had tears in her eyes as she said, “I know Jesus was here. I sensed His presence. He surrounded me with His love.”

We walked to the Fellowship Hall together and as we entered the rest of the group were still chit chatting away.

In today’s reading Jesus had just completed his formal teaching of the disciples and was preparing for the final leg of His journey. Three times he had told His disciples how his life was going to end. Three times they failed to comprehend. Was it because the truth that Jesus was The Messiah was incomprehensible? Maybe, for the disciples, at that time, yes. But, at least one person had eyes to see, ears to hear. One woman, whose name we do not know, worshipped at the feet of Jesus. With all she had, with all of her being, she poured herself into Jesus, as she anointed the Savior of the world for death.

This episode reminds me that Jesus wants us to know him. This episode also reminds me of just how dense I can be, how close I can be to the heart of God, and yet be oblivious to His presence. I shudder to think how often I get so caught up in all the things I do to lead the church in worship that I miss an encounter with Jesus fulfilling His promise to be present with His followers as they gather in His name.


What does today’s reading reveal to you
about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do
or remember about this passage.
Does God want you to change anything in your life?

19-Sep-11     Matthew 26:26-46

No comments: