Monday, March 1, 2021

A Different Translation

 A Different Translation

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

Yesterday, (February 28, 2021) I was listening to a teaching on 1 Peter 5 when the pastor came to one of the most often quoted passages in the New Testament. Sometimes, it is quoted as, “Cast your cares on God because he cares for you.”

I had one of my favorite Bibles next to me, The New English Bible, New Testament (1961), that I purchased when I was a senior in High School. This is how the NEB translates this verse:

“Cast all your cares on him, for you are his charge.”

I don’t recall much the pastor said after I read this translation. I’ve always loved this verse, and have often quoted it in church services or when visiting a parishioner. But this translation has taken the verse to a much deeper level for me. Yes, it is comforting to know God cares for me, but to know I am his charge connotes he has taken responsibility for me. Hence, when I don’t know how to pray, he prays for me (Romans 8:26); he is at work within me (Philippians 2:13); he will work in me until Christ is fully formed in me (Philippians 1:6, Galatians 4:19).

I am his charge.

I think of those within my charge and the level of concern, love, and care I have for them – and that’s just like seeing “in a mirror, dimly” compared to God’s concern, love and care for those for whom he has charge.

I am his charge.

My Takeaway: I often quote Psalm 23:4 when I am experiencing a difficult time: “. . . thou art with me.” I think now I will modify that phrase, just a little.

Thou art with me, for I am your charge.

 

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: