Thursday, March 25, 2021

On Mars Hill

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

March 25, 2021

On Mars Hill

For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

Acts 17:23

Read: Acts 17:22-34 Pt 1

Paul uses the Athenian shrine to the ‘unknown god’ to tell the people in Athens about God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. We will look at this passage today and tomorrow. In part one, I noticed how Paul affirmed God is the creator not the created. Unlike some of the idols the Greeks worshipped, God is not far removed from creation. Our God actively guides His creation. Further, God created humankind in such a way that we long to know the God who created us. Paul says in the past, humans groped in the darkness seeking to know their creator but now God has made Himself known in Christ Jesus.

My Takeaway: Paul’s affirmation about our God causes me to recall this prayer of Adoration: “O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth; I worship Thee. With all angels and saints, I adore Thee. I acknowledge Thee to be by Creator and my God. I render Thee the homage of my being and my life. I am not my own, I am Thine. By creation and redemption, I am Thine. I will devote myself to Thy divine service this day and forever. O grant me grace for this, dear Lord. Amen”

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: