Wednesday, March 24, 2021

In Berea & Athens

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

March 24, 2021

In Berea & Athens

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Acts 17:11

Read: Acts 17:10-21       

I noticed the contrast between the three cities. Although some of the Jews in Thessalonica accepted Paul’s teaching, most did not. Unlike those in Berea, they did not search the Scriptures, they just responded with jealousy and anger that caused them to even pursue Paul to Berea. Athens was full of idols and where the people “spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.” (V.21)

Ten years after Paul visited Athens, he would write to the church in Ephesus and include a personal prayer request: “Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.” (Ephesians 6:19-20) This attitude, and attribute, of Paul was evident in his visits to Philippi, Thessalonica, Berea, and in Athens where he was alone.

My Takeaway: Jeremiah’s words best describe how I understand my life: “But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.” (Jeremiah 20:9) God has also called you to serve in His name. I invite you to substitute your giftedness for ministry for “mention his word or speak in name” and adapt Jeremiah’s words to your life.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: