Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mark 1: 1-15

I have a bad habit of jumping into a new book and skipping over the introduction or preface to the book. Mark makes this easy because he does not waste any time getting to the action. But, Mark’s opening sentence captured my attention and I tarried a bit. “This is the Good News about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God.” Right out the gate Mark tells me this story will be Good News about a person named Jesus, who Mark says is God’s promised Messiah and God’s son.

In the first fifteen verses Mark touches on every one of those four themes: Good News; about a human being named Jesus; who is God’s Anointed Redeemer; who is God’s very own son.

As I begin reading this Gospel I remember that while Mark had been a traveling companion of the Apostle Paul he spent most of his time with the Apostle Peter. In Mark’s Gospel I am seeing Jesus from the perspective of Peter. Before I read further I am going back to September 27 in my journal and read my notes on 1 & 2 Peter.
 
What does today’s reading

reveal to you about God?

What does it reveal to you about yourself?

Think about what God wants you to do

or remember about this passage.

Does God want you to change

anything in your life?


21-Oct-11     Mark 1:16-39


No comments: