Monday, October 3, 2011

Revelation 4 & 5

I remember an outdoor wedding I was officiating. The groom, best man and I were standing together. We could not see the bridesmaids until they started coming down the aisle. When the bride came into view the groom whispered, “She is so beautiful” and then his knees buckled. The best man and I caught him on his way down. The groom was overwhelmed by the beauty of his bride on her wedding day. That is an infinitesimal example of what those gathered around the throne of God experienced.

John wants the churches to share his confidence in the faithfulness of God, especially during the time of trial, temptation and suffering. John has no words to describe the indescribable, so John uses metaphors. John does his best to describe a scene that produces reverent awe where with every fiber of their being the people of God have an outpouring of worship. Unhurried worship, day and night without ceasing they sing, “Holy, holy, holy, the Lord God the Almighty, who was and is and is to come.”

In my human weakness there are times when I have doubts. Is it worth it? Not so much the sacrifices all Christians make to be followers of Jesus, but the demands of pastoral ministry. Is it worth it? On those occasions I read chapters 4 and 5 and remember, one day my faith will become sight --- I will see Jesus standing at the center of God’s throne. He is worthy of all I can do or sacrifice. After reading of this glorious scene I cannot help but sing now, as I will sing then, and forever and ever,
Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you are my God
You all together lovely
You are all together worthy
You are all together wonderful to me.



What does today’s reading
reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do
or remember about this passage.
Does God want you to change
anything in your life?

4-Oct-11         Rev. 6:1-17

No comments: