Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mark 2:18-3:12

Jesus said “The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people.” I think every worship committee would do well to incorporate Jesus’ words into their mission statement. Of course the immediate problem is in defining the needs of people.

Some of the people listening to Jesus had their own ideas about the needs of the people and Jesus didn’t fit into their plan. So they began a plot to kill Jesus. Today people still have their own ideas about church and worship. When their ideas are not followed they want to argue and fight. Or, they just get mad and quit the church. They certainly don’t think their actions are the same as a plot to kill Jesus, but never-the-less their actions are destructive to the body of Christ.

This reality of our times serves as a reminder to me that Jesus did not mean the Sabbath was made to meet what I think are my needs. The Sabbath was made by God to meet what God knows are my deepest needs. The more that I allow God to reveal to me my deepest needs, the more His wonderful Sabbath will be healing for my brokenness.


What does today’s reading
reveal to you about God?
What does it reveal to you about yourself?
Think about what God wants you to do
or remember about this passage.
Does God want you to change
anything in your life?

24-Oct-11 Mark 3:13-35

No comments: