Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Luke 2: 41 - 3:14

The first part of today’s reading tells the story of twelve year old Jesus in the Temple in Jerusalem. The way Luke tells the story has an interesting similarity to another story Luke will tell; the two disciples on the road to Emmaus in chapter twenty-four. In both stories there is a period of three days where Jesus was ‘lost’ and then found again.

In both stores Jesus used an imperative to explain what happened: “I must be in my Father’s house”; “the Messiah would have to suffer all these things.” From Jesus’ perspective in both stories, he is not the one who is lost; he is just doing what was necessary for the Messiah.

Jesus perspective creates a dichotomy for me. On one hand I know from the Apostle Paul that nothing can separate me from Christ because Christ lives in me. (Romans 8:35-39 & Colossians 1:27) 

But, on the other hand, from Luke’s account, Jesus is going to be doing what Jesus needs to do and it is possible that I might lose sight of him.

I cannot go off in any direction I choose and assume God’s presence; God’s favor will be with me. I can rest in the knowledge that if I do lose sight of Jesus, he can be found again. I just have to look in the right places: The sacraments, prayer and the Bible.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

29-Dec-11     Luke 3:15-38

No comments: