Friday, December 9, 2011

Romans 8: 1-25

When I read Romans 8 I feel like a kid in a candy shop. It’s not hyperbole to say that everything I know about living as a child of God is found in Romans 8. Scholars have written entire commentaries just on chapter 8 because it is so densely packed with revelations of how God intends for his children to be transformed by the death, burial, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ.

Chapter 8 points out that we get to choose to participate with God in his transformation of our lives. As an example, beginning the day after Ash Wednesday, as a Lenten devotional exercise, I am going to spend 39 days with chapter 8: taking just one verse each day to ponder, meditate, and open my heart for God to speak to me. You may want to join me in this exercise.

Today verse 6 attracted my attention: “So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.”

Paul shows us in chapter 8 that, when we confess faith in Jesus, God accepts us in the here and now as his children and places his Spirit within us. God’s Spirit comes to live in our sinful, mortal bodies. Every moment of every day we get to choose on what we will focus our attention; our sinful nature or God’s Spirit.

We can focus on our problems or we can focus on God’s promises. When we have free time we have many choices. From books and magazines, TV and movies, to sports and recreation, we have many choices. The Apostle Paul teaches us that a Spirit controlled mind focuses “on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Then the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:9-10)

Is it really that simple? Yes! In Christ we get to choose where and how we will spend our time.

Throughout the day will my thoughts and conversations focus on my worries and anxieties, or on the faithfulness of God whose mercies never come to an end?

Will I choose to feed my Spirit or feed my sinful nature?   

 What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

10-Dec-11     Rom. 8:26-9:5

No comments: