Friday, December 2, 2011

Romans 2: 1-16

Paul’s words in today’s reading remind me of Jesus’ teaching in the Sermon on the Mount; “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?” The sin of judging other people is a constant theme throughout the Bible and Paul’s teaching about my sinfulness will be his theme for the next few chapters. I need this time. Why? Because sometimes the space between confession and assurance is not sufficient for me to fully appreciate God’s grace.

When our church gathers for Holy Communion we share a Prayer of Confession for our sins. We also have a quiet time for personal prayers of confession. Then there are the words I love to hear, the Words of Assurance; “If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

I can’t un-ring the bell. I love God’s grace. I’ve read the letter to the Romans before. I know what lies ahead, especially in chapters 5-6-7-&-8.  My problem is that I like to focus on the assurance of forgiveness so much that I do not spend enough time identifying, understanding and repenting from the sins in life. The truth is that God’s grace cannot do a complete work in me, freeing me from the practice and power of sin, unless I am convinced down to the marrow of my bones how desperately I need God’s grace.

I think the Romans knew what was coming. Paul had already hinted at God’s grace and they knew there was more yet to come. I bet they didn’t know that grace would hit them like a tidal wave in just a few chapters. That’s where I want to go. I want to be patient and reflective and take my time moving forward with Paul. As much as I know it’s coming, I still want God’s Tsunami of Grace to overwhelm me, because without it I will die.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

3-Dec-11      Rom. 2:17-3:18

No comments: