Sunday, December 4, 2011

Romans 3:19 - 4:8

Today's passage, and the readings for the next several days, contain some of Paul's deepest theology. Paul wanted the Jews to fully appreciate what God had done in Christ Jesus to redeem Israel. Paul also knew that for the Gentiles to fully appreciate the nature of God they needed to understand how God demonstrated his faithfulness to his covenant with Israel. 

Also, both the Jews and the Gentiles needed to know that the faithfulness of Jesus has provided for not only their right standing with God at the final judgement, but also their right standing with God in the here and now.

Simply put, Paul is presenting the ultimate truth of the Good News: what is true for Jesus is true for the people of Jesus. Through my faith in the faithfulness of Jesus fulfilling his mission as God's Messiah I become one of Jesus' people. 

Because Jesus is in a right relationship with God, I too am in a right relationship with God, because what is true for Jesus is true for me.

All of this is made possible through the marvelous grace of God which I receive through my faith in the faithfulness of Jesus.

I don't know whether to stand up and shout hallelujah or fall to my knees and worship.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?


5-Dec-11      Rom. 4:9-5:5

No comments: