Sunday, July 1, 2012

Psalm 61

The acrostic, LAW, is my shorthand reminder for the trilogy of needs that is common to all people: Love, Acceptance, and Worth. The core value in our journey to make the Life in Christ our Way of Life is our belief that God’s love for us in Christ Jesus is the fulfillment of all three of these needs.

When I Googled “Meaning of Life” this morning I got sixty million references in response. I searched ‘The Meaning of Life” on Amazon and found over one hundred twenty thousand references. Even so, I don’t think most people spend a lot of time pondering the meaning of their lives; however, I believe subconsciously, it is our quest for self-worth, a sense that our life matters, that shapes our efforts to fulfill our needs for love and acceptance.

We all would do well to elevate our quest for meaning to front and center, so we can keep our quest on the right track. For the psalmist, the right track was, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:2b). The psalmist knew that the true meaning of life would be found in something greater than himself. However, living for something greater than ourselves can take many forms, such as, living to build something that will outlast our mortal lives. While such pursuits can be noble and valuable, the psalmist set his sights higher. He was convinced that the true meaning of life was to be found living in the presence of God: “Let me abide in your tent forever, find refuge under the shelter of your wings” (Psalm 61:4).

Each seeker of life in Christ will find their own way of expressing the meaning of their life. As an example, many people look to the popular book, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren that provides a hierarchy of five purposes in response to the question, “What on Earth Am I Here For?”

Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God's Pleasure (Worship)
Purpose #2: You Were Formed for God's Family (Fellowship)
Purpose #3: You Were Created to Become Like Christ                (Discipleship)
Purpose #4: You Were Shaped for Serving God (Ministry)
Purpose #5: You Were Made for a Mission (Mission)

I like the prose of verse 2b, 
“Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”  
That phrase resonates within me because I often listen to a praise song that incorporates this verse (Lead Me to the Rock, Kent Henry, My Refuge). However, my favorite way to express my understanding of the meaning of my life is in the prayer of an unknown saint:

O Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth;
I worship you. With all angels and saints I adore you.
I acknowledge you to be my Creator and my God.
I render to you the reverence of my being and my life.
I am not my own. I am yours.
By creation and redemption I am yours.
I will devote myself to your service this day and forever.
O Lord, grant grace for this I pray
in the name of my Savior, Christ Jesus.
Amen
(Emphasis Mine)

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 2, 2012            Psalm 62

No comments: