Sunday, July 15, 2012

Psalm 75

I am in a period of transition. After thirty-two years of pastoral ministry I have retired. The focus of my ministry is writing these daily meditations, until the Lord leads me elsewhere. I feel a little like a part of Abraham’s or Moses’ clan as we are presently sojourners, residing temporarily in a leased home. I have a sense of both uncertainty and adventure as I try to patiently wait upon the Lord. In this regard, Psalm 75 is helpful to me.

“God says, “At the time I have planned” (Psalm 75:2a). At least twice previously in our reading of the Psalms we have been encouraged to wait on the Lord:

“I wait quietly before God,
    for my victory comes from him.”
Psalm 62:1
“Be still, and know that I am God!
                                                  Psalm 46:10

The heart of humankind’s rebellion against God is control. We want to be in control. I recall a quote from Lansford W. Hastings in an exhibit at the Museum of Westward Expansion in St. Louis: “We had proceeded only a few days travel, when the American character was fully exhibited. All appeared to be determined to govern, but not to be governed.” Our bent on control is over both our environment, and the others in it, but most especially, over our own lives.

Psalm 75 is an affirmation that God is in control and God moves on God’s timing, not mine. I am almost tempted to pray, ‘O Lord, cut me some slack. Give me a hint. Where do you want me to live and what do you want me to do?” I say, almost tempted, because I know God’s answer if I were to utter such a prayer:

“God says, “At the time I have planned”


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 16, 2012          Psalm 76

No comments: