Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Psalm 71

We live in a culture that emphasizes awareness of emotions and feelings. The culture teaches a person to act on their feelings. When you follow this path, your feelings will become your beliefs about yourself and world. Keep on this path, and your beliefs will become the core of who you are.

Gandhi put it this way, “Your thoughts will become your words. Your words will become your actions. Your actions will become your habits. Your habits will become your character. Your character will define your destiny.”

I see a problem with both of these approaches to life. We know that our feelings or emotions do not always reflect the truth. Neither do our thoughts. We need a beginning point that is rock solid. This point is the truth of God. We can begin with God’s word and chose to believe it. We can then take actions based on our beliefs. Eventually, our feelings will line up with the truth of God, but not right away, and not always. This is why the Apostle Paul said, “For we live by believing and not by seeing” (2 Corinthians 5:7).

With this in mind, read again Psalm 71 and I believe you will find it is a good example of prayer as positive self-talk. The psalmist is in a very difficult place, and in his prayer he is rehearsing all he knows, all he has experienced with God. In this way, his faith will rest on God and he will not be overcome by doubt and fear.

Verse eighteen is especially meaningful to me now that I have retired from pastoral ministry.

“Now that I am old and gray,
    do not abandon me, O God.
Let me proclaim your power to this new generation,
    your mighty miracles to all who come after me.”

Yes Lord, by your grace, may I be a witness to the generations following after me. May I be a light leading them to the life in Christ.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 13, 2012          Psalm 72

No comments: