Monday, July 2, 2012

Psalm 62

How do you respond when faced with a challenge, crisis, or uncertainty? We know these circumstances are accompanied by a crisis of belief; what we do next reveals what we believe about God. What would a faithful response look like?

Psalm 62 encourages us to,

“Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him.
 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will not be shaken.
 My victory and honor come from God alone.
    He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me” (v.5-7).

This encouragement is not an invitation to do nothing. Rather, it is a call to fully gather ourselves, before we do anything. This point is made by an addition to the opening statement, ““I wait quietly before God.” In verse seven the psalmist clarifies this statement: “Let all that I am wait quietly. . .”

In the quietness of waiting before God, we can consider both the adverse circumstances we are facing, and the assurances and promises of God. We can take time to remember that we are a child of God; this is our core identity. We can pray for wisdom and carefully consider whether our planned response to our circumstances evidences our life in Christ.

Our mortal life is influenced and led by fear, deceit, temptation to sin and condemnation, or guilt. God continually speaks to our spirit, “Do not be afraid.” God has promised that he will never lie to us. God is not the tempter. In Christ, there is no condemnation. Patient waiting before God allows us to consider whether we are being led by the flesh; or by the Spirit of God.

By the way, quietly waiting before God does not preclude singing. May I suggest an opening hymn?

Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.

    Silently now I wait for Thee,
    Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
    Open my eyes, illumine me,
        Spirit Divine!
Open My Eyes, That I May See
Clara H. Scott, 1895

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 3, 2012            Psalm 63

No comments: