Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Psalm 70

Psalm 70 is almost identical to Psalm 40:13-17. Apparently, Israel combined portions of the psalms with other liturgies in their worship. Although their circumstances may not have been the same as those that inspired the first psalm, they found the passage helpful in expressing their heart to God. The psalmist may have used an exercise similar to the one I suggest at the end of each meditation to help them apply the psalm to their particular life needs.

Verse five leaps off of the page to me: “But as for me, I am poor and needy.” One of the greatest temptations I face is being duped by my own sense of self-sufficiency. In my own personal history, I struggle against feelings of worthlessness. In my distorted thinking, asking for help is weakness and fuels my lack of self-worth. I know the truth; I know who I am in Christ. Nevertheless, my daily task is to choose which voice I am going to follow. There is a voice, calling out of my history, encouraging me to rely on my strength, my sufficiency. There is also the voice of truth.

This psalm helps me remember that Jesus, the voice of truth, calls to the poor and needy. I recognize his voice and come to him. He calls me by name and leads me home. He walks ahead of me, and I follow him because I know his voice. (John 10:3-4)

The voice of truth never tires of me joining my voice with the psalmist,

“But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    please hurry to my aid, O God.
You are my helper and my savior;
    O Lord, do not delay.”
Psalm 70:5

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 12, 2012          Psalm 71

No comments: