Thursday, July 26, 2012

Psalm 86

As I read Psalm 86 my mind is flooded with thoughts of our new life in Christ: “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). The Apostle Paul instructed the church to “Let your bearing towards one another arise out of your life in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5 NEB). When he was in Athens, Paul described his life in Christ this way: “For in him we live and move and exist” (Acts 17:28a). Paul expounded on this theme to the church in Colossae, “For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory” (Colossians 3:3-4).

These passages are my inspiration to seek the life in Christ as my way of life. I believe they make clear that the Christian faith is so much more than a system of morality. Being a Christian is not about believing in Jesus; it is about our allowing Jesus to live His life through us. All Christians join with the Apostle Paul as we make our affirmation of faith: “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20).

How did I make such a leap of faith from Psalm 86 to the Christ life? Because Psalm 86 is an affirmation, a prayer of David, that expresses a life totally devoted to God. David’s life was immersed in God. David affirms God’s faithfulness and unfailing love. He praises God, “For you are great and perform wonderful deeds” (v.10a); and David prays to God, “Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth! (v.11a) All of this, and more, causes David to proclaim, “With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever.” (v.12)

As I ponder this beautiful prose of David in Psalm 86, I am inspired to make his prayer, my prayer:

“Grant me purity of heart,
    so that I may honor you.”
Psalm 86:11b

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading of the Psalms
 attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

Reading for July 27, 2012          Psalm 87

No comments: