Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday, November 16, 2012



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Friday, November 16, 2012 I Chose the Twelve & People Came from Everywhere         
Page 91-92   Matthew 10:1b-4, 12:16-23; Mark 3:7-19; Luke 6:12-19

I think it is interesting how Jesus adds identifiers to the names of eight of the twelve apostles. Six of the eight identifiers clarify family relationships or identify those with the same name, but two of the identifiers really stand out to me: Matthew the tax collector and Simon the zealot. A tax collector was a collaborator with the Romans and a zealot was one who hated the Romans. In service to Jesus, they are side by side as disciples and apostles. Such is the power of Jesus to give us new lives that transcend the prejudices and tensions of our former life.

People came from everywhere to see and to hear and to touch Jesus. God has a special place for the bruised and weary people in the world. God is a friend of the wounded heart. That’s the theme of the New Testament writes Max Lucado in his book, He Still Moves Stones. I agree with Max. He took his inspiration for the book from the passage in Isaiah 42 that was fulfilled by Jesus:

He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.

I take great comfort from this passage. Jesus is very serious about what it means to be his follower and to live under the reign of God. Jesus sets the bar of his expectations for his followers very high; but interwoven with His expectations is His mercy and grace that looks to my heart. I am thankful that Jesus, who wants so much for me, that expects so much from me, will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle.

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Monday, November 19, 2012       The Beatitudes       
Page 94        Matthew 5:1-12; Luke 6:20-26

No comments: