Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday, November 12, 2012



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Monday, November 12, 2012       I Chose a Tax Collector to Be My Disciple
Page 78-79   Matthew 9:9-13; Mark 2:13-17; Luke 5:27-32

Jesus often spent quality time with those deemed by his culture as being the furthest from the Kingdom of God. In those settings, many people became believers because Jesus modeled the principle that we are called to be in the world, but not like the world. (See John 17:11, 16; Romans 12:2; 1 John 2:15-17) Jesus was fully present with the people, fully accepting them as they were, without compromising his own identity as the Son of God.

Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his dinner party, and he also welcomed his own friends and associates, including, “many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus’ followers.)” (Mark 2:15). The Pharisees heard about the party and asked Jesus’ disciples, “Why does he eat with such scum?” (Mark 2:16).

That incident reminds me of a passage in Brennan Manning’s memoir, All is Grace. Manning is the author of books such as, The Ragamuffin Gospel and Abba’s Child, and he has had a profound influence on my understanding of God’s grace. He has struggled with an addiction to alcohol most of his adult life. He was asked how it was possible that someone who has had such powerful encounters with God’s grace could relapse.

His response was simple: “These things happen.”

Jesus’ marching orders to his disciples are very clear: “I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent.” (Luke 5:32) Yet intentionally ordering our lives to include the people for whom the love of God is still a stranger is very difficult. It is hard to intentionally leave our comfort zone and become vulnerable so that the life of Jesus becomes visible in our mortal flesh. (2 Corinthians 4:10)

Manning reminds me that the most difficult part of being a follower of Jesus is remembering that “God loves us unconditionally, just as we are; not as we should be. Because no one is as they should be.” (All is Grace) I need this reminder because it is so much easier to accept grace than it is to extend grace. As for me, I am thankful to be included among the scum dining with Jesus, and may I never forget it.


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
Tuesday, November 13, 2012      I Was Asked About Fasting         
Page 79-80   Matthew 9:14-17; Mark 2:18-22; Luke 5:33-39

No comments: