Friday, November 2, 2012

I Called Fisherman to Fish for People & News about Me Spread



The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
November 2, 2012   I Called Fisherman to Fish for People & News about Me Spread         
Page 71-72   Matthew 4:18-22; Mark 1:16-20; Matthew 4:23-25

Several years ago, during a drought, the Sea of Galilee receded several feet and exposed an old fishing boat. The boat was raised out of the mud and placed in a museum near Tiberias. Carbon dating revealed the boat was over two thousand years old. Possibly, it belonged to Peter, or Zebedee. After my visit to the museum, I had the opportunity to stroll along the water’s edge, and as I looked out across the Sea of Galilee, I thought about Peter and Andrew and James and John leaving their nets and boats to follow Jesus. My thoughts then turned to when I heard Jesus call me to follow him. I don’t mean my call to the itinerate ministry. When did I hear Jesus call me to be his follower, his disciple, a Christian?

I recalled bits and pieces, starts and stops, youth groups and college classes. I remembered a friend inviting me to church. I also remembered a Sunday evening, alone, after I had been reading the New Testament. I sensed the presence of Christ in my life. I knew then I wanted to be his disciple. I knew he was calling me.

As I look back, I am thankful for all of the starts and stops, funerals and weddings. All of the places where I heard bits and pieces about Jesus and the love of God were used by God as His prevenient grace to prepare me for the most important day in my life: the day I heard Jesus call my name.

News about Jesus spread and large crowds began to follow him. However, at the end of his ministry there were just a few who remained faithful. Some stood at the foot of his cross. Others huddled nearby in Jerusalem. Those who remained all had one thing in common; each had heard Jesus call them by name.

Like the psalmist, my cup runneth over with blessing upon blessing from God. The greatest of my blessings, now and for all time, is the day he called me to be his disciple.


Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><
What word or phrase in today’s reading attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are available by email. Contact me at Amkrom812@gmail.com to be added to the email list.
This BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription

The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ
(Seed Sowers Christian Book Publishing House. http://www.seedsowers.com/)
November 5, 2012   I Cast Out Demons
Page 75        Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:31-37

No comments: