Thursday, October 1, 2015

Here I Am, Lord



October 1, 2015
Here I Am, Lord

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Philippians 2:13

Hudson Taylor, the missionary to China, once noted that God’s work, done God’s way will never lack God’s supply. Teresa of Avila said, “When the Lord wishes the work to be done He will give us the wherewithal.” While neither cited the text above as their inspiration for their belief, I suspect the truth of this passage was well embedded in them. And so shall it be embedded in all of those seeking the life in Christ as their way of life.

This truth is repeated often in scripture, and the powerful benediction to the epistle of Hebrews is one of my favorites: “Now may the God of peace . . . equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him.  All glory to him forever and ever! Amen (Hebrews 13:20-21).

I recall a friend sharing how he struggled to discern God’s will for his life. He said he felt like he was always sitting at a red light, waiting for God to turn it green. Then a colleague suggested he change his posture and assume the light is green until God turns it red. That change in perspective was liberating for my friend, but he ultimately found that it was equally difficult to discern when God was turning his light red. Alas, becoming fully-devoted followers of Jesus is much more of an art that it is a science.

I agree that we are called to be active, not passive in our journey with Christ. I also agree with Brother Taylor and Saint Teresa. However, it has been my experience that although God provides His supply, His people don’t always avail themselves of that supply. On any given Sunday, the people and resources present in every congregation are far more than sufficient to accomplish everything God wishes to be done through that church. The only question is whether the people will trust God and surrender themselves and their resources to His great purposes.   

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.
Here I Am, Lord
Dan Schutte
Sē’lah
<><  <><  <><  <><
(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com. The BLOG is also available on Amazon Kindle, by subscription.

Publications by Alex M. Knight:

·        Seeking the Life in Christ, Meditations on the New Testament and Psalms has been published and is now available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle.

·        The second edition of  First Think – Then Pray is available on Amazon Kindle.

·        Meditations on The Story of My Life as told by Jesus Christ has been released as an e-book on Amazon Kindle.

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.

No comments: