Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The Plot to Kill Paul

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

April 27, 2021

The Plot to Kill Paul

But when the son of Paul’s sister heard of this plot, he went into the barracks and told Paul.

Acts 23:16

Read: Acts 23:12-22       

Today’s reading raises the issue of God’s providence. By that, I mean God’s purposeful, intentional action in His creation. How do we understand God’s providence? Was it a coincidence that Paul’s nephew overheard the plot to kill Paul? Or was that Divine providence? If it was God’s providence, then why was James (the brother of John) not rescued? (We read about his execution in Chapter 12) Or what about James, the brother of Jesus, who was executed three years after Paul’s arrest? Understanding God’s actions, and what seems like his inactions, can be one of the greatest struggles of faith. I resolve this struggle by resting my faith on the person of Jesus. My faith is not on what I hope the outcome will be; my faith is in the person for whom “God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell.” (Colossians 1:19, actually read 15-20 – this is the person who is the object of our faith.)

I have found that when I pray, I experience more of God’s providence in my life. But it is not just any prayer. It has to be special prayer. I believe when you pray the prayer that God NEVER fails to answer, you can count on experiencing God’s providence in your life. That prayer is the Lord’s Prayer. (Matthew 6: 9-13) In March, Andy Stanley had an excellent four-part series on the Lord’s Prayer: Grown-Up Prayers. Here is a link to part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyAC26OxOqQ

My Takeaway: “My past, O Lord, to Your mercy; my present, to Your love; my future to Your providence.” (St. Padre Pio)

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: