Wednesday, April 21, 2021

What shall I do, Lord?

 Meditations on The Acts of the Apostles

April 21, 2021

What shall I do, Lord?

“About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?’ “‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked.  ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ he replied.”

Acts 22:6-8

Read: Acts 21:37 -- 22:11

Paul was given an opportunity to speak. Considering everything he had done as a missionary and as a leader of the Way, he had a vast amount of knowledge and experiences to choose from. So what did he choose? He chose to give his testimony. He chose to testify that Jesus had changed his life. He chose to affirm that Jesus was his Lord.

The leaders of the mob were much like Paul when he was known as Saul and a persecutor of the disciples of Jesus. Paul is now being persecuted, just as he had been the chief persecutor. Paul, through his Jewish heritage, had much in common with the mob, and it is this common thread he tried to use to present his defense.

Paul’s defense was made about twenty-five years after his Damascus Road experience. Even so, that moment of epiphany burned deeply within Paul such that he could recall his conversation with Jesus verbatim. I believe God’s desire is that all of His children have such defining moments that lead us on the Way.

My Takeaway: In the defining moment of Paul’s life he said, “What shall I do, Lord?” (v.10) I want to begin each day with those words on my lips. How about you?

Sē’lah

<><  <><  <><  <><

(Selah is a word that appears in the Book of Psalms that I often use as the Complimentary Closing in my correspondence. Its meaning, as I use the word, is to pause and think about these things.)

 

These meditations are written by Alex M. Knight as he seeks the life in Christ as his way of life.  The meditations are published on the BLOG, http://seekingthelifeinchrist.blogspot.com/ and they are also distributed on the Constant Contact email server. You may subscribe to this email service by sending an email to: amkrom812@gmail.com.

 

Copyright © 2021 by Alex M. Knight

 

Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: