Friday, March 2, 2012

John 1: 19-28

Today’s passage seems rather simple and straight forward; however, there are several insights worth pondering.

In Biblical times the nation of Israel lived in anticipation of God doing something mighty to save his people. When the religious leaders heard about a strange man preaching in the wilderness they were anxious to learn more about him. Was he just another messianic pretender, was he a new prophet of God, was he a former prophet sent back by God? The Christian community today is called by God to live every bit in anticipation of Jesus returning in final victory, as Israel looked to the first coming of the Messiah.

When I think about John the Baptist I always had a vision of him staying in the wilderness areas. But, the text says all the religious leaders went out to Bethany to see John. Bethany was just a few miles east of downtown Jerusalem. I realize I have been making assumptions of what the text was saying. (This really hits home with me in our next passage where I ‘assumed’ John was baptizing Jesus.)

In his encounter with the religious leaders John the Baptist quotes Isaiah 40. It will be worth your time to take a few minutes to read that chapter.

Finally, John models for all of us the importance of living our lives within the role God has designated for us, or as Paul put it, “For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.” (2 Cor. 4:5) Note that the opposite inference is just as important. While I should not think more highly of myself than I ought to, neither shall I think I am insignificant in God’s grand plan of redemption.

What word or phrase in these verses
attracts your attention?
Reflect on that word or phrase.
What insights come to you?
How does this passage touch your life today?

3-Mar-12      John 1:29-51

No comments: